nfloutofhours
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Fantasy Football Leagues Sign-Ups Have Begun *****Madden 17 League Registration Open For XB1*****
Welcome to NFL Out Of Hours. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 2: Romo's Redemption
Topic Started: Sep 20 2011, 03:03 PM (832 Views)
Cardinal Tom
Member Avatar
Shanahanigans, bitch!
Tom's Tuesday Touchdown

A second week on NFL football has come and gone and what a week it was – big wins, some shock results and a lot of highlights to talk about...shall we get started?

Week 2 Thoughts

Buffalo are not going to be entering into the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

If they are, then they're going to have to trade up a hell of a lot to try and get to him. I can't see them having a top 10 pick this year though, not when Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing like he is at the moment.

Sure he's not an elite talent in the mould of Brady, Rivers, Brees or Rodgers but he is definitely in amongst the group behind them. He's a solid starter for Buffalo and can make the throws to win them games so their need for an upgrade for him isn't as high as some like to make out – no problem in drafting someone of quality though to sit behind him for a while as they get used to the pace of the NFL...maybe someone like Boise State's Kellen Moore?

They won't be going to the play-offs though, but watch for them to go at least .500 this year.

Cam Newton may have started well, but he is still learning.

Was his Week 1 performance vs. Arizona a fluke? You'd have to say no based on what he did vs Green Bay in the second week of his NFL career – though, coming up against a much greater opposition to that which he began his rookie year against, it still showed that he still has plenty to learn if he wants to be an even greater player.

Once again his yardage totals at the end of the game were mightily impressive for a rookie but, unlike last week, he was facing a team known for forcing turnovers...and force turnovers they did – in the form of interceptions, Newton threw three of them. The worst being where he horribly overthrew Brandon LaFell and into the waiting arms of Charles Woodson, who also picked the rookie off once more in the evening.

He's far from the finished article but the signs are there. Be patient Carolina fans, he'll lead you to a win soon enough!

The Lions are roaring!

I hopped off the Detroit bandwagon this year because it's no fun when every man, his dog and Jason LaCanfora are calling for them to be 'a surprise team this year'. I was on their bandwagon last year, saying they were a few pieces away from success, and now they have those pieces everyone seems to think that it's going to be them.

They've definitely started the year well – Stafford to Johnson is already looking like it's going to be a massive part of their offence this year, Megatron already has 4 touchdowns this season as is bound to get even more as the year progresses. It's also 'so far, so good' for Jahvid Best and their #1 pick QB Stafford in their season long quest to stay free of injuries that have plagued them so far in their young NFL careers. Ndamukong Suh seems to have stopped ripping heads off of opposing quarterbacks so far this year but there's still a lot of time for these things to change.

Finally, if I got a pound for every time that I hear “If Matt Stafford stays healthy” then I would be a millionaire...or, at least, have enough money to buy myself an iPad 2.

Whereas the Chiefs are retreating...

Nothing seems to be going right for the Chiefs this year. Last week they had to deal with losing second year stars, tight end Tony Moeaki and safety Eric Berry for the season and they were dealt a further blow this week when running back Jamaal Charles was carted off the field following a freak collision with a yard marker and the Detroit Lions mascot.

Even with those losses, there's been a massive regression in what they're getting off of Matt Cassel now he's without Charlie Weis, his offensive coordinator this year. Dwayne Bowe looks a shadow of his last-season self as well and there's been very little for Charles before his untimely demise.

With Thomas Jones the #1 back now, it's going to be a slow season this year – unless Dexter McCluster can somehow replace what they lost from Charles in the offence and maybe Cassel can finally get something going...but I wouldn't hold my breath, it hasn't been a great start.

Minnesota's used to collapses...

Last year it was the Metrodome roof caving in, this year it's their Donovan McNabb-led team caving in after half time. Last week they were up 17-7 against San Diego but then forgot to turn up for the second half and the Chargers were led to victory by the end of regulation.

One week only? Well, not quite...in fact it's uncanny the similarities to last week were noticeable again this week against Tampa Bay. This time they were up 17-0 and cruising to a win but that wasn't to be as Freeman's boys overturned that deficit and won 23-20 in a thrilling comeback.

So next week, will they score 17 points on Detroit but then go ahead and lose? It's my 6pm game next week so I'll be sure to find out!

Tom Brady is ridiculous...

But you already knew that.

What a way he's began the season though, carry on like this and he'll throw for 7,000+ yard and numerous touchdowns! OK, that won't happen because projections tend to be a load of bollocks but if teams aren't able to get to him then he'll be breaking a number of records this year – including his 50 TD's in a season. I guarantee it.

I'm just glad he's not playing Arizona at all this year, he'd shred our secondary all night long.

Pick Six: The Weekly Awards

The Jake Delhomme Award – Luke McCown, Jacksonville

It wasn't a great week 2 for a handful of quarterbacks and there were three major contenders for this weeks' Jake Delhomme Award. Those being our eventual winner along with Matt Cassel of Kansas City who, along with the unfortunate injury to Charles, is seemingly directing the Chiefs into the Andrew Luck sweepstakes – the third is Tarvaris Jackson, a 0 is hard to ignore in American Football, and is usually down to bad quarterback play – hence his inclusion here.

But our winner, how can we forget him. He had a terrible day at the office for Jacksonville – one wonders why they didn't just stick with Garrard but, what is done is done, and this is McCown's team until Gabbert is ready – so fear Jacksonville fans, it could be a very long year for you.

Especially if McCown carries on with performances like this.

The 'Not So Sticky Fingers' Award – Steve Smith, Carolina Panthers

A new award for this week as I thought this should be highlighted – the fumble which Steve Smith literally gave up to Green Bay this past week...anyone know what he was thinking of?

Yeah he was being tackled but that was no excuse for literally rolling the ball into the path of Charles Woodson. You may be Cam's favourite target, but you must keep hold of that ball or else things like that happen.

The Gus Johnson 'WOW' Catch(es) Of The Week– Vince Wilfork, New England Patriots/Domenick Hixon, New York Giants.

Another tough category to choose from as there were so many to choose from this week from what I've been able to see - Denarius Moore of Oakland made a phenomenal play between two Bills defenders for the touchdown, something Heyward-Bey could only dream of doing. Brandon LaFell made some great catches on the end of Cam's bombs, Jared Cook laid out to bring in a Hasselbeck throw...and then AJ Green had a number which, on another week, could have been award winners easily enough.

But the catch of the week has to be Vince Wilfork picking off Philip Rivers, amazing play from the big big man! Batted down the pass, caught it one handed and then took it back 20-odd yards. It's one of those plays that you have to see to believe.

Because I can, I'm going to give this award to another player as well. Monday Night Football between the Rams and Giants was full of ridiculous catches – for the Giants Nicks made one, Manningham as well and the Rams weren't to be overshadowed either with both Denario Alexander and Lance Kendricks making highlight-reel grabs themselves...but they were all overshadowed by Domenick Hixon's grab for a touchdown – I don't know about you, but I gasped when I saw it, that was some phenomenal control by the reciever to haul that one in.

So we have two winners this week...just because I can.

The 'Springfield Nuclear Power Plant' Meltdown Award – Minnesota Vikings.

I've already covered this in my thoughts so not much else to actually say.

Diva Of The Week – Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears.

Throwing towels, throwing a strop and sulking on the benches on the sidelines – some would say it's showing passion, but when it's Jay Cutler involved then it's because he's throwing another bitch fit...suppose it makes a change to an interception.

Sure he may have been taking a few shots but, when you're on the floor complaining about a perfectly legal hit from a defensive player and begging for a flag, maybe it's time you gave up American Football and tried your hand at Soccer...the world needs more whiny bitches like Cristiano Ronaldo. Not.

Two words Jay...Man. Up.

The Redemption Award– Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys.

Last week I may have rightfully awarded him a LeBron James Award for throwing the game away in the fourth quarter and I won't apologise for that, it was thoroughly deserved and needed highlighting. This week though, totally different story.

In fact, I bet most peoples' respect for him has gone up a bit considering he and his broken rib/punctured lung came back into the game and won the game for the Cowboys in overtime. OK, so maybe not in the same way I began to respect Matt Stafford's ability when he threw a game winning TD with a dislocated shoulder, but still have to respect Romo for that. It's a perfect way for him to redeem himself to the NFL. Sure, he'll always have his detractors, but to them there's three words.

Haters gonna hate.

32 IN 17

Week 2 of the NFL brought with it another collection of 16 games for me to follow, watch and report back on via the medium of Twitter and Tuesday TD. With 28 teams still to watch this year, Week 2 gave me a chance to see more teams and appreciate their good/bad points...so who were my picks this week?

Arizona Cardinals @ Washington Redskins – why wouldn't I want to watch my own team? Plus it crosses off another team, 27 to go once this one is through.

Great pick by Adrian Wilson!

Torn bicep muscle, who cares – A-Dub is a machine and recorded his 26th career interception, surely he'll make it into the 30/30 club by the time he calls time on his career?

Second pick of Grossman, this time by Richard Marshall! Great start!

What a start by our defence...well, it needed stops as we couldn't stop Hightower at all, so it looked as though our turnovers would come from errant Rex Grossman passes and that's how it started but we needed something from our offence to capitalise.

TD Jeff King!!! I thought this dude was a blocking Tight End?

Capitalise they did with only their sixth play of the quarter when Jeff King got his second TD in two games when Kolb found him wide open and he did the rest...not bad for someone who was brought in as a blocker. Or so we may think.

Get rid of the ball Kolb. Jesus!

How long does he need to throw the ball? Damn, if this was Warner, then he'd be already lining up the next play after making a successful throw down field...it's the only thing I can really criticise Kolb for so far.

This lad Banks is electrifying when he gets running.

My first positive Washington tweet, it's worth waiting for though. He's definitely got break-away potential and he looked like he could do something on near enough every return he got his hands on.

Wow! What a throw to Fitz and a Touchdown!!! Fuck yeah!

It's what we all paid to see. The $180m boys combine for a huge score and what a score it was, Hall jumped and Fitz was gone to the house...that's all that needs to be said.

On one hand...shit, Moss just caught a TD to get within 2 of tying. The other, that's some fantasy football points 

The awkward moment when you celebrate fantasy points but then realise they are against your real-life team...

Eurgh, I'm going to hurl in a minute if this Fox-Rex Grossman love-in gets even worse.

Thankfully that was right at the game. Rex started poor, got better and that's about it...no need for them to carry on all freaking night long! (Though, if it was Kolb they were gushing over, I'd probably not complain)

Fuck :(

Sums up exactly how I feel when they kick the winning field goal...oh well, onto game 2 of the night.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Denver Broncos – I didn't tweet much during this game as it wasn't that great. Andy Dalton looked very good though and should have probably won this one...25 teams to go.

On paper, Broncos defence looks awful. Dawkins, Ayres and Miller...after that, Who knows who they are?

I'm sure P-Mac could put me right but seriously, those three aside, they are all nobodies to me.

McGahee just crushed Matt Willis, his own receiver, that hit was brutal!

Speaks for itself?

Doubt anyone cares, but Eric Decker just caught a TD. I wish it was Tebow though, surely Orton will target him once?

It was probably the most excited the Denver crowd sounded all night when Tim Tebow came in and lined up as a receiver – Bore-ton wouldn't have targeted him though would he?

- Damn! Two great grabs by AJ Green on this drive.
- And they follow that up with an amazing catch by AJ Green for the TD!
- Fucking hell AJ Green!

Adriel Jeremiah Green...You. Are. Ridiculous.

SUPERBOWL SHOUT: HOW THEY DID

Last week there was one win and one loss for my Superbowl picks...how did they do in week 2?

Well, it was another win-lose week this time out but the result was reversed as San Diego lost a shoot-out to New England, to not much surprise, whereas Atlanta won a shoot-out against Philadelphia, much to most peoples' surprise.

If they both get to the Superbowl, fingers crossed it's a shoot-out.

FANTASY FOOTBALL STUD/DUD

Opening week of the NFL season and my teams went 7-4, so what would week 2 hold for myself and fantasy football owners throughout the world – who impressed and who didn't, shall we find out?

Once again there were a lot of big, high-scoring points from Quarterbacks – especially those named Tom Brady (28 pts) and Cam Newton (26 pts) once more scoring fantasy points by the bucketload. But they were not the highest point scorers this week and nor did the big-scoring backs, surprisingly led by Fred Jackson (25) and closely followed by McFadden (24) and Best/McCoy (23 each). Taking over this week were wide receivers with 3 taking up the top 3 spots in ESPN's weekly scores...so that's where our FF Stud is this week.

Both Vincent Jackson and Jeremy Maclin had massive games for their respective teams but outscoring them slightly was Miles Austin – his 143 yard, 3 touchdown appearance top-scored this week with 32 points!

Defensively there was no big points hauls like Brian Urlacher had last week but there were solid numbers put up by a number of defensive players – namely Charles Woodson and Morgan Burnett of Green Bay, as they forced and capitalised on turnovers committed by Cam Newton and co.

But, top-scoring this week with 14 points (I told you it wasn't as impressive) was Buffalo Bills' LB Nick Barnett – ironically an ex-Green Bay player himself. He's on my leagues' waiver wire...probably not for much longer.

So, with them out of the way, who was this week's FF Dud?

CJ24yds was slightly more impressive this week but barely, though considering it was Baltimore he was up against, no one was expecting too much to begin with. Arian Foster wasn't great on his return though he was still hampered by his injury so would be cruel to label him as a dud...so who else is there?

Heading into the season people were talking about this guy as something of a sleeper in his new-look offence and, after his week 1 performance, it looked as though that could have been the case. But, after week 2, maybe he'd have been better off after registering 1 measly point...1! Must do better, Reggie Bush.

ASK TOM

There seems to be a lack of Ask Tom this week...so come back next week, there may be a new segment replacing it.

Until then, enjoy!
:ARI: - LSU Tigers - Chicago Bulls - Staffordshire Surge :ARI:

2012 OOH Prediction League Champion - 2012
2 x OOH 'Others' League Runner-Up (2011 - 2012)
OOH NCAA Fantasy Football Champion - 2013, 2014

OOH Madden 13 Champion (Xbox League) - Season 3
OOH Madden 15 Champion (XB 1 League) - Season 1
Offline Offline Quote Post Goto Top

Riggins
Member Avatar
Yoda
Quote:

This lad Banks is electrifying when he gets running.

My first positive Washington tweet, it's worth waiting for though. He's definitely got break-away potential and he looked like he could do something on near enough every return he got his hands on.

Got to agree Banks is a threat each time he touches the ball, I said so preaseason. But for him the NFL will be Not For Long for two main reasons

his body is not built for the game, he weighs about 2 stone when fully wet and looks like a young boy out there with men. Teams will kick away from him and hit him hard.

Secondly the guy is a danger to himself with his off field antics.
It does not matter how much god given talent you have, if you fail to apply it properly, it is wasted.

Tobli93
Member Avatar
I am the danger. I am the one who knocks
Bit harsh on Jay Cutler I feel.

He had DE's getting left completely unblocked on his blindside and was getting absolutely hammered all night. Martz did him no favours by completely abandoning the run (ran it 11 times). I can fully understand his frustration and anger that nothing is changing along that line or in the system.

Last season Martz was able to adjust mid season to the awful OL and the Bears looked better, but those adjustments seem to have gone completely out of the window.

Carimi's injury (dislocated knee) was untimely but in no way responsible for the shoddy protection.
Do. Or Do Not. There Is No Try.

Oxford Saints DT/OT/TE
2011 Offensive Rookie of the Year
2013 Lineman of the Year
2013 MVP

Oxford Brookes Panthers Defensive Co-ordinator

OOH's Linemen Advocate

------------------------------------
OOH Madden 11 Champion (Xbox League) - Season 1 & 3

OOH Madden 13 Champion (Xbox League) - Season 1 & 5
------------------------------------

Founding member of Team Swatt99

Writer at REAL SPORT

PFGers73
Member Avatar

Well said Tobli. Rodgers/Manning/Brady complains to the ref its "passion", Cutler does it then its "whining" and if Cutler wasn't to complain it would probably be "sulking". He can't win.
Rangers - Chelsea - Chicago Bears - NY Rangers
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Inaugural OOH NHL 2011-12 Fantasy League Champion
OOH Originals Fantasy League Runner-up - 2011, 2012
OOH Fantasy Cup Winner - 2011

OOH Xbox Madden 10 Franchise Champion - Seasons 1 and 2
OOH Xbox Madden 12 Franchise Champion - Season 4

AOPL League Champion - 2012
NFL Prediction League Champion - 2014

"And its come down to Drogba, who this time is the 5th penalty taker for Chelsea in the final shootout. HE'S DONE IT!!! The greatest night in the history of Chelsea Football Club! European Champions! They've beaten Bayern in their own backyard, they've found the holy grail! After an adventure fraught with danger! And Drogba! - May never play for Chelsea again...he will never be forgotten!"

« Previous Topic · Tom's Tuesday Touchdown · Next Topic »
Add Reply

[countdown=12/25/0:0]